Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I just had one of those rare right here right now-moments when taking my dog out for her evening crap. It's like a filter surrounding your brain suddenly comes off and you just.. notice things in a way you don't normally do.
Tilda and I play this game in the evenings, where I run off and hide somewhere when she's busy peeing or eating grass or whatever, and then she looks for me and I give her a piece of candy when she finds me. Today I was hiding behind the giant blob of bamboo in the backyard, and while I was waiting for her my senses were kind of hitched up a notch for a few minutes.

I hunkered down under the bamboo, the smell of rain and earth suddenly intensified. I drew my hand over the grass, really felt the texture and moistness on my skin. I closed my eyes and listened, distinguishing different sounds from one another. A distaint train. A neighbor's phone ringing. Three birds having what sounded like a pleasant conversation. The wind in the trees. Tilda's panting. And the smell was incredible. The sky moody and gray, the plants drooping under the weight of the rain. The greenery just so ridiculously green. A slowly trickling drop of water leaving a momentary wet trace on a leaf.

When Tilda found me I listened to the sound her wagging tail made in the bamboo. I studied the hairs in her fur, the specks in her golden eyes, the warmth of her breath on my face. The single straw of grass stuck on her tongue. The feel of her gently nuzzling my fingers, looking for her candy.

It only lasted a moment, but it was a bliss. Afterwards I felt rested in a way I very rarely do. It's been a long time since I had a moment like that. Reminded me that I'm alive, and that that's not an entirely negative thing to be even if, for the most part, it's overrated.


Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.
- Oscar Wilde

5 comments:

David Madison said...

haha sounds like an acid trip if you ask me... might wanna look into that. Love the blog name by the way!

StigmataHandjob said...

It would be pretty damn awesome if my brain could produce acid all on its own like that. Especially if it made enough for me to sell. From a tap in my head. That would make my day.

Anthony said...

If only we could do that whenever we wanted without using any acid... haha

StigmataHandjob said...

You probaby would be less bothered by shitty customers in the drive-thru if nothing else.

*B* said...

!!!