Sunday, April 3, 2011

Borneo was amazing. Really, REALLY amazing. I've seen and done so many things I never thought I would experience. I've been caving in the biggest cave in the world. I've been surrounded by completely fearless fish biting at my fingers and toes while swimming under a tropical waterfall. I've stood in the jungle at night, in the dark, the only light coming from the glowing fungus growing on dead wood under my feet and the fireflies around me. I've seen wild monkeys. I've also finished my research, which was the reason I went there, which is pretty sweet.

I left Borneo with much regret, but I don't go to South East Asia that often so I wanna see as much as possible while I'm here.

Went to Kuala Lumpur for a short while. The only good thing about that city was the taxi driver that took me back to the airport. He held a one hour speech about Malaysian history and politics, which was really entertaining and very informative.

Had a really bizarre experience in a shopping mall too. We went in to get away from the heat and were dragged into a huge store. There were no customers and probably 30 employees all staring at us, standing motionless but smiling and greeting us when we passed through. It was pretty surreal.

Went to Bali shortly after and arrived a couple of hours ago. At the airport you're supposed to pay for a visa, but there's nowhere to get Indonesian rupees inside the area that you're not allowed to leave before you got your visa. And they only take cash. So if you don't have cash on arrival you have a security dude follow you to an ATM, while also taking your passport, until you got your money and can be on your way. This is completely retarded and unneccessary and would be solved so easily with an ATM in a smarter place.
Once outside the first security control D and I went to get our checked in bags. Some asshole took D's, and his passport, and took off. Another asshole took my bag and told me to follow. He had a uniform and a name tag and everything so I figured it was okay. Turns out what he did was carry my bag through another security check and then hold it hostage 'til I payed him. I had no plans on doing that and simply told him to give me my bag or suffer the consequences, but D, being the Swede he is, payed them.

Apparantly Indonesia has no official traffic rules. This shows. People here are fucking crazy. We had discussed renting bikes to get around but there will be none of that shit. Plus, I sprained my hand pretty badly so I couldn't bike even if I wanted to. They have horseback tours here that I really wanted to do but I guess there won't be any of that either. Oh well. I'm pretty sure there will be things to see and do for the four days before heading back to Singapore and then back home.

No comments: