Monday, March 28, 2011

Sarawak, Borneo

I took a plane from Singapore to Miri just a couple of hours ago. Since my arrival I've pretty much just wandered around the town, which is a really nice little place with huge scary insects and friendly locals. It's been cloudy today which is a bliss, only 29 degrees when I got here. The humidity is not as bad as in Singapore, but on the other hand the smell is worse so I guess it evens out. Every time I travel i realize how fucking spoiled I am regarding clean water and fresh air, and how rare it is to actually live in a place where it's silent more often than noisy. I like the noise of a city, but I really crave the silence after a while. Tomorrow I'm heading to the Gunung Mulu National Park ten kilometers further inland. It's in the rain forest so I doubt it'll be quiet at night, but I have a feeling it's gonna be noisy in an awesome way.

Also: at the Singapore airport I was staring out the window while waiting to board the plane. One of the guys working with moving peoples' luggage onto the plane did something pretty hilarious. They unloaded a bunch of bags with something soft in them, like futons or something, and he just dropped on top of them and stretched out with a big grin on his face. I took a picture of him and he just waved at me, not bothered one bit. That was pretty cool.

No comments: