Wednesday, November 5, 2008

#2

Other cool people I met on the various buses and stations:

An ex-cop who broke his leg and almost froze to death, quit his job and became a freelance photographer. He had now traveled the world 15 times and was on his way to the airport to go to Brazil for the seventh time in two years.

A missionary who was originally from Albany, who had lived in Bangladesh for five years and now lived in Romania where he and his wife ran an orphanage. He was back home to visit his parents.

A sicilian woman on her way to New York for an audition. She's an opera singer.

A toothless old woman who had left her abusive husband, who felt it was a good idea to drag her in a rope behind his car. She spoke very fondly of her true love, who had died when he was only 32. She was sad but not bitter, humble but not broken.

Everyone was very friendly, open and kind and genuinly interested in sharing their stories and listening to others. It's safe to say going where I went, meeting who I did, has changed me a lot in a very positive way. It has left me way more open, friendly, trusting and positive myself, with a much improved view on other human beings. This was exactly what I needed, every second of it.
And I'm definately going back out there again.

No comments: