Thursday, October 9, 2008

Powdered pork

I have two things on repeat in my head today. One is that annoying old man from Pet Sematary (the movie that is) going "AAAAAAH know whatchoooore thinkin'!" and the other is this silly piece of poetry that I really like for no specific reason.

Was it the age of my innocence,
Or was it the lost land of Oz?
Was it only a foolish illusion,
The summer that never was?

Did I walk through the fields with the child in my arms
And the golden wheat over my head?
Did I feel my heart breaking under the weight?
Was my sweet sleeping boychild a burden, like lead?

I remember him crying the day he was born
And his hand like a spider that wouldn’t let go
And he wouldn’t let go and he wouldn’t let go
And the pain tore my heart out and filled me with woe.

Can a dreamer take hold of reality
And become a responsible man?
Can a killer become a lover
Or is he forever damned?

You can’t follow me where I’m going now
And you can’t go to the places I’ve been
Don’t listen to the demons I’ve listened to
Or look into the darkness I’ve seen.

There’s a field and a boy and the tall golden wheat
And eternity held in a day
But it’s so hard to hold and it’s so hard to reach
And forever rushing away.

Was it the age of my innocence,
Or was it the lost land of Oz?
Was it only a foolish illusion,
The summer that never was?

No comments: